Hey everyone! I recently finished up taking the SAT and I wanted to share some of the tips that helped me the most when studying and preparing for the SAT. Hopefully these tips will help you prepare for your upcoming SAT test.
1) Prepare Early: This is the most important tip, because the SAT is a huge test with a lot of different questions. I suggest starting to prepare around 2-3 months before your exam, this way you do not have to cram at the last minute.
2) Don't just wing it the first time: A lot of people go into the SAT without studying at all the first time. I don't think you should do this, because the SAT is an expensive and grueling test so you should try and do your best the first time to prevent having to take it an excessive amount of times.
3) Take the June SAT: I would suggest taking the June SAT for your second time. If your school gets out in May this is an awesome recourse; this way you have time to just focus on the SAT without the distractions of tests and projects at school.
4) Get a Prep Book: You need a prep book, this book will give you practice tests, practice questions, and tips and tricks. This is your go to recourse for studying. They also are usually broken up into nice sections, so that you can do one section a night while you are studying.
5) Get SAT flashcards: The flashcards are a life savor for the reading and writing sections. Deeper knowledge of SAT buzz words will allow you to better understand what the passages are saying as well as help you answer the vocabulary based questions.
6) For Math, practice: The best way to do better on the math section is just to practice. Practice questions of all types and you will be able to feel much better and confident on the math section.
7) Make Time to Take it Again: Most likely you will need to take the SAT at least twice, so plan for that. Don't count on your first test to be your best, so plan ahead when you will take the test so you have time to take it again without missing college or scholarship deadlines.
8) Review Grammar Rules: Grammar rules are crucial on the writing section, so review and understand them and you will be able to successfully correct almost all of the sentence completions. My favorite grammar review is here.
9) Write a Four Paragraph Essay: The best tip I have for writing the essay is to make sure you have 4 paragraphs that are well developed. You can not go wrong with a introduction, body 1, body 2, conclusion structure.
10) Use Resources From SAT.org: The SAT website has lots of great practice questions as well as if you have taken a prior SAT you can print your score report and see what types of questions you missed from each section and this will give you a good framework as to what to focus on.
11) Rest Up and Eat Well: This is a given, but don't stay up late the night before and eat a good breakfast the morning of. Also, if you have time do a few practice questions the morning before it will help to warm up your brain and help you focus before taking the exam.
I'm so happy to finally be done with the SAT. Feel free to leave your best tips in a comment bellow, because they may help someone!
Thanks for Reading,