This year I am taking an online class and since starting I have learned a lot about working hard to be successful in this different type of class. I think online classes are a great opportunity to take a class that your school may not offer or may not fit in your schedule. I definitely would not be afraid of taking an online class, because I think it mimics college in that you need to motivate your self instead of a teacher always having to remind you and encourage you. Also, a lot of these tips can be applied to regular classes!
1. Work daily: I have one period everyday devoted to my online class, so that I can work on everything that I have due. But if you don't have this because your taking an extra class or you just don't get a period for it at your school I would establish a specific time everyday where you work on the class for about an hour. It could be before school or after school, just make sure you make time to get the work done.
2. Get ahead: Don't slack off, because you start getting ahead, get as much done as you can when you have free time, because when you have a lot of stuff in other classes you will be far enough ahead that you can put your class aside for a few days.
3. Ask questions when your confused: Don't be afraid to ask your teacher questions about anything and everything. Just because they're not in the same room as you doesn't mean they don't want to help you. They want to be therefore you and support you so you do well in their class.
4. Attend live sessions: My class has weekly 1 hour live sessions where my teacher will answer any questions about the material. It also allows you to get to know the other students in the class and discuss to better understand the content.
5. Get to know your teacher: Read your teacher's bio and listen to the stuff he/she says at their live sessions. The more you get a sense of what your teacher is like and their personality the more likely you will be to ask them questions and feel comfortable in the class.
6. Actually Take Notes: It may be tempting to instead of taking notes just read through the online notes, but I promise if you take the time to take notes like you would in a normal class it will ultimately pay off in your mastery of the material.
7. Put in the extra effort: Read the textbook and spend a little bit of extra time formatting and laying out your documents and assignments. I promise it is worth it in the long run and your teacher will be thankful. Plus it shows you really care about and take pride in your work.
8. Make sure you are self motivated: This is probably the hardest part of the whole thing. There is no one to force you to do your work or remind you to do things. You have to take it upon yourself to say oh I should be working on this assignment today, so it is ready for the due date. It is all up to you, if you motivate yourself and put in the work your grade will no doubt reflect that.
Thanks for Reading,